After many months of waiting the Android 2.1 update is finally here and it’s been whittled down to nothing in my opinion. Here is what I’ve experienced.
- Frames Per Second have dropped by half, going from 64ish to 30ish.
- We didn’t get 5 screens like originally shown and blogged about all over the internet.
- We didn’t get the 3D launcher like the nexus one did.
- Live Wallpapers puts more strain on battery life and really not that cool… I guess I’m not really into the whole “I can make my wallpaper look like water and watch when I touch it… it makes water rings!!!” or maybe it’s just that my friends don’t get a shit and I look retarded showing them?
- News and Weather Widget.. are you kidding? There are hundreds of apps that do this better in the market place.
- Gallery function is the only good thing in this update. But again I don’t look at my pictures enough to really give a damn.
- Pinch to zoom has been added to work in more applications but I just double tap to zoom in where I need to perfectly.
If you want half as much performance, the same amount of screens, the same launcher, a new widget, a better gallery app, and some animated wallpapers, then you’re going to LOVE this update!
I didn’t buy my phone for these updates so I really don’t give a damn but more functionality such as 5 screens I did look forward too. I still love my phone, even though it’s slower now, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.. well maybe a Nexus one?